One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Animals of relatively simple or primitive characteristics as contrasted with humans or with more advanced animals such as mammals or vertebrates.
- ‘The only thing left of the organic code will be animals, probably lower animals.’
- ‘Unfortunately, it also raises doubts about the significance of the expressive behaviors that Darwin pointed to as signs of ‘the various emotions and faculties… in the lower animals.’’
- ‘In lower animals, this organ detects substances that mediate sexual and territorial behaviors in species.’
- ‘First, we acknowledge that lower animals (such as bugs) move only by mechanics.’
- ‘That which distinguishes man from the lower animals is not the understanding of articulate sounds, for, as every one knows, dogs understand many words and sentences.’
- ‘It seems clear that lower animals have genetically programmed innate fear responses to certain types of stimuli.’
- ‘In fact, many plants and lower animals reproduce fully or partially asexually.’
- ‘We are not much different from lower animals in many ways.’
- ‘We might give attention to what is entirely relevant, research on the lower animals.’
- ‘I think lower animals are extremely skilful at performing a rather few tasks.’
- ‘The Bible does attribute the properties of life and death to both the plants and the lower animals.’
- ‘Only some lower animals do everything for themselves.’
- ‘Now, by creating the means to execute those simulations at much higher speeds, we are entering a regime as radically different from our human past as we humans are from the lower animals.’
- ‘I maintain, on the other hand, that there are indications of man having received something that he could not have derived from the lower animals.’
- ‘He tried to poison us like lower animals, like the mice that pester storybook villages, the insects that fly around the heads of those that I read about.’
- ‘‘The lower animals, like man, manifestly feel pleasure and pain, happiness and misery,’ he wrote.’
- ‘In the case of the lower animals it seems much more appropriate of their social instincts, as having been developed for the general good rather than for the general happiness of the species.’
- ‘The lower animals he regarded as pure automatons - mere machines.’
- ‘However, our bodies do require some meat to survive and we are guilty of consuming lower animals.’
- ‘Studies in lower animals suggest that such activities can be initiated within minutes and continue for the hours, days, and weeks required for full rehabilitation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.