One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Regions near the equator.
- ‘There is now good evidence that at least three Proterozoic ice ages culminated in glaciation extending to very low latitudes; possibly to the equator.’
- ‘The lower Pease River flora is evidence of yet a third, more typically Late Permian and ‘Mesozoic’ flora in low latitudes during the Early Permian.’
- ‘The extreme humidity probably reduced evaporation in the low latitudes and thus slowed down deep-water formation.’
- ‘The findings stem from the first observation of an X-ray flare reflected from Saturn's low latitudes, the region that correlates to Earth's equator and tropics.’
- ‘In contrast, this same school of thought proclaimed that the complex ecosystems of low latitudes, the tropical rain forests and coral reefs, would prove more stable because of their diversity.’
- ‘A major impact in low latitudes would be expected to perturb the atmosphere more widely both in the northern and southern hemispheres than would an impact of comparable magnitude in high latitudes.’
- ‘Of the three magnetic planets in our solar system, Jupiter and Earth emit two general types of X rays, auroral emissions from polar regions and disk emissions from low latitudes.’
- ‘While river systems both large and small in the northeastern two-thirds of the continent appear to exemplify the tendency of low latitudes to be species rich, other South American rivers do not.’
- ‘It also lay close to the equator - then, as now, reefs were most developed in low latitudes.’
- ‘What could have caused deep waters to form in the low latitudes and disrupt the usual system of deepwater circulation so drastically?’
- ‘Remember that as ice sheets grow they incorporate proportionally more of the light isotope of oxygen, oxygen - 16, because precipitation originating in the low latitudes is enriched in this isotope.’
- ‘First, compared with low latitudes, the summers at high latitudes have longer days, with given totals of sunlight hours more spread through them.’
- ‘Most of its mass was probably located in the low latitudes of the Northern Hemisphere.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.