One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The lowest level reached by the sea at low tide, or by a lake or river during a drought or dry season.
nadir, low point, lowest point, all-time low, lowest level, bottom, rock bottomView synonyms
- ‘I have not got jurisdiction on this case because there is not a body and my district terminates on the low-water mark.’
- ‘We have to protect that strip of land that is from the high-water mark to the low-water mark.’
- ‘Bury it in the sand at the low-water mark, if you like.’
- ‘He said these were susceptible to a problem called ‘accelerated low-water corrosion’ which was corrosion around the low-water mark which could now be reinforced.’
- ‘His intended mode of fishing is using two trawls pulled by a tractor along the low-water mark, which is where the shrimp are to be found.’
- ‘The terrestrial boundary used, 3 km inland from the low-water mark, was sufficient to capture the majority of resource uses and concerns.’
- ‘The vessel was sunk in the middle of the river below the low-water mark.’
- ‘Bedding dips gently to the east near the low-water mark and becomes steeper, eventually vertical and overturned near the bounding fault at the high-water mark.’
- ‘Located between the high- and low-water marks on the shore of the Shannon Estuary, it features a large tower built towards the end of the 15th century by the O'Connors of Kerry.’
- ‘It extends from the low-water mark eastward along the Queensland coast, to a point beyond the continental shelf.’
- ‘Below the low-water mark, the pebbles become larger and kelp-covered.’
- 1.1 A minimum recorded level or value.‘the market was approaching its low-water mark’
rock bottom, the bottom, the lowest point, the all-time low, as low as one can get, the depths, the nadirView synonyms
- ‘This model must be the low-water mark for their designers.’
- ‘On July 19, the Yankees reached a low-water mark when they fell 14 games back of the Red Sox.’
- ‘That last sentence must rank as one of the low-water marks of contemporary journalism.’
- ‘It was certainly the high-water mark or the low-water mark depending on your point of view.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.