Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The lowest level reached by the sea at low tide, or by a lake or river during a drought or dry season.
nadir, low point, lowest point, all-time low, lowest level, bottom, rock bottomView synonyms
- ‘I have not got jurisdiction on this case because there is not a body and my district terminates on the low-water mark.’
- ‘Located between the high- and low-water marks on the shore of the Shannon Estuary, it features a large tower built towards the end of the 15th century by the O'Connors of Kerry.’
- ‘We have to protect that strip of land that is from the high-water mark to the low-water mark.’
- ‘The vessel was sunk in the middle of the river below the low-water mark.’
- ‘Below the low-water mark, the pebbles become larger and kelp-covered.’
- ‘Bury it in the sand at the low-water mark, if you like.’
- ‘He said these were susceptible to a problem called ‘accelerated low-water corrosion’ which was corrosion around the low-water mark which could now be reinforced.’
- ‘Bedding dips gently to the east near the low-water mark and becomes steeper, eventually vertical and overturned near the bounding fault at the high-water mark.’
- ‘The terrestrial boundary used, 3 km inland from the low-water mark, was sufficient to capture the majority of resource uses and concerns.’
- ‘His intended mode of fishing is using two trawls pulled by a tractor along the low-water mark, which is where the shrimp are to be found.’
- ‘It extends from the low-water mark eastward along the Queensland coast, to a point beyond the continental shelf.’
- 1.1 A minimum recorded level or value.‘the market was approaching its low-water mark’
rock bottom, the bottom, the lowest point, the all-time low, as low as one can get, the depths, the nadirView synonyms
- ‘That last sentence must rank as one of the low-water marks of contemporary journalism.’
- ‘This model must be the low-water mark for their designers.’
- ‘It was certainly the high-water mark or the low-water mark depending on your point of view.’
- ‘On July 19, the Yankees reached a low-water mark when they fell 14 games back of the Red Sox.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.