Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having a low rank or position in a particular hierarchy.‘low-ranking police officers’
- ‘Consequently, most low-ranking gang members hold low paying legitimate sector jobs in addition to selling drugs for the gang.’
- ‘The nine soldiers convicted in the Abu Ghraib scandal have all been low-ranking Reservists.’
- ‘Among primates, high social rank affects the rate of pubertal development, with high-ranking females maturing more quickly than low-ranking females.’
- ‘In the war itself he was a low-ranking South Vietnamese officer.’
- ‘The fifth extrapair copulation involved an experimentally manipulated female who copulated with a low-ranking male.’
- ‘At the top are high-ranking lineages, followed by low-ranking lineages.’
- ‘In each instance, the mother was a low-ranking female who had given birth to male twins.’
- ‘In four cases, females paired to low-ranking males had extrapair copulations with high-ranking neighbors.’
- ‘In olive baboons, two lower ranking males sometimes form a team to gain access to estrous females.’
- ‘Having demonstrated the importance they attach to world famine by the low-ranking delegations, Western governments used the conference to propagate their own agenda.’
- ‘His empowerment story of rising from a low-ranking cop to an IRS officer may further strengthen the very premise of the reservation policy.’
- ‘However, low-ranking birds appear to experience much lower overall reproductive success in disturbed habitat than in undisturbed habitat.’
- ‘Some Democrats have accused the Pentagon of foisting all the blame on to low-ranking soldiers.’
- ‘I don't think Secretary Rumsfeld is going to appear in a court for a trial for some low-ranking member of the military, no.’
- ‘Her family was low-ranking in the byzantine system of social controls in place in North Korea.’
- ‘Most of the theories about his identity focus on low-ranking or already disgraced policemen.’
- ‘Thus, the superior nutrition available to high-ranking mothers may allow them to be more successful than low-ranking mothers at raising twins or daughters.’
- ‘Consequently, high-ranking females recruit more offspring to the age of sexual maturity than do low-ranking females.’
- ‘Courtney was too low-ranking to be worth the Russians investing in.’
- ‘Only a low ranking official was sent to greet him at the airport.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.