Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
At low altitude above sea level.‘flooding problems in low-lying areas’
low-lying, ground-level, sea-level, flatView synonyms
- ‘Inland wetlands are common on floodplains along rivers and streams and in other low-lying areas.’
- ‘Many vineyards planted in low-lying valleys alongside rice fields have high water-tables and a high risk of flooding.’
- ‘The Mimika region is largely a low-lying swamp intersected by rivers on Irian Jaya's southern coastal area.’
- ‘They also say that urban sprawl on hillsides and in low-lying areas has been allowed to grow out of control.’
- ‘The low-lying, marshy land has been improved by drainage over the past generation.’
- ‘More parts of the city, which has already seen its dyke breached and low-lying areas swamped, have been flooded.’
- ‘Shallow pools were then dug in low-lying land along the rivers at Sraghmore a mile away and on the winter freezes provided the ice.’
- ‘A big problem is that salt water has contaminated a lot of wells in the low-lying areas when this tidal wave came in.’
- ‘The Tuamotus are a group of low-lying atolls that form part of French Polynesia.’
- ‘The most dramatic effect would be an increase in sea levels due to melting of the polar ice caps causing many low-lying costal areas to flood.’
- ‘Breeding habitat is mostly inland around low-lying marshy areas near lakes.’
- ‘A spokeswoman warned river levels are high and with further rainfall forecast there may be some flooding on low-lying land near to rivers.’
- ‘Tuvalu is one of dozens of low-lying islands threatened with rising sea levels.’
- ‘The coastal region of the Humber estuary is low-lying and gradually eroding inland.’
- ‘On Fiji's low-lying islands, salt water intrusion can come from above as well as below.’
- ‘Many a low-lying island in the Pacific and Indian Oceans faces the very real threat of slipping beneath the sea.’
- ‘Heavy rain over the weekend brought flooding to low-lying ground on the outskirts of the historic city and to a city centre car park and river walks.’
- ‘Sea level rises will follow, catastrophically for many low-lying countries.’
- ‘The objectors say the problem is that Iburndale Beck runs alongside the land and the area is a low-lying flood plain.’
- ‘The area of low-lying swamp or marsh, as revealed through archaeology, is shown in brown.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.