One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Born to a family that has a low social status.
humble, lowly, low-bred, low-ranking, plebeian, proletarian, peasant, poorView synonyms
- ‘He always offers something juicy for his low-born audience to ogle, be it the crown jewels or the many messy decapitations.’
- ‘Above all, he came from the south, and so could win back to the Democrats those many southerners who had voted for the similarly amusing, reassuring, interesting and low-born Reagan.’
- ‘Pompey sniffed at the low-born Julius, who ignored the deliberate affront to his parentage.’
- ‘She is a woman of her time - a low-born person who uses her sexuality to navigate her way through society.’
- ‘Oddly enough for a fairly low-born seventeenth-century working scriptwriter from the rural outback, Shakespeare is better known today than many of his contemporaries.’
- ‘In fact, portrait painting at the time provided one of the most reliable routes to social advancement - especially for people who were low-born as she was - and she made full use of it throughout her long life.’
- ‘And Henry, then in France, screamed to his troops in pure frustration, ‘What idle and coward knaves have I nourished as vassals, that faithless to their oaths, they suffer their lord to be mocked by a low-born priest!’’
- ‘He seemed old for his age, carried himself with a confidence that I would never feel, as if he didn't know he was poor, or low-born.’
- ‘Confronted with depleted royal finances in Scotland, James deployed a board of low-born but able court administrators called the Octavians, and sold enough titles to near-double the Scots peerage from forty-nine to ninety-two.’
- ‘French subjects, high-born or low-born, were hanging on to their safety by a thread.’
- ‘She is a low-born girl with aspirations to the upper classes - bluntly put, she's a tough little gold digger, and she knows it.’
- ‘A low-born peasant maid cures the king of France, who promises her choice of husband but the man she chooses rejects her.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.