One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A child born to parents who are not married to each other.
illegitimate child, child born out of wedlockView synonyms
- ‘In the anti-father-figure role, we have Craig as a rocker who discovers that a former groupie is raising his teenage love child.’
- ‘Until she does, the verdict is out on whether the candidate for governor fathered a love child.’
- ‘The acclaimed writer and dramatist, who had a secret affair with the actress in the 1960s, has learned she bore him a love child.’
- ‘He was in the headlines in 1996 when it emerged during a paternity suit that he had fathered a love child with a woman he had met at a party conference 11 years before.’
- ‘In his eyes, Linda was his love child, the one who made his wife stay.’
- ‘Cosima was the love child, as she liked to put it, of Wagner's champion Franz Liszt and his mistress the Countess Marie d' Agoult.’
- ‘The Royal expert is to hunt down monarchs’ secret love children and their descendants for a new TV documentary.’
- ‘Meantime, Nola gives birth to their love child Jason, a son born blind because, she thinks, of her exposure to mercury fillings.’
- ‘She has been reunited with the love child she gave away as a teenager, it emerged yesterday.’
- ‘The Hollywood actress and her lover want their love child to be born in Africa because it is the cradle of civilization.’
- ‘Is Meredith was having the love child of another man and you're being a gentleman and marrying her?’
- ‘Constantin, it transpires, is an alchemist with an ambitious plan - one that threatens the couple's romantic future, and the life of their love child.’
- ‘And so it began, my phase of daydreams about the Gypsies who had dropped me off at the door of the squares, or about the young woman with a halo of ash blonde curls, dying of consumption and imploring my parents to take care of me, her love child.’
- ‘The documentary filmmaker says hundreds of letters suggest Giacomo Puccini had a love child, reports The Times of London.’
- ‘It could prove whether his grandfather was the secret love child of Queen Victoria's daughter, Princess Louise.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.