One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A temporary red mark on a person's skin caused by a lover biting or sucking it as a sexual act; a hickey.
- ‘Don't give love bites: It is highly erotic to exert some gentle suction on the sides of the neck, if you do it carefully.’
- ‘While giving an erotic love bite pay attention to your partners responsiveness.’
- ‘You might want to cover up those love bites before breakfast.’
- ‘All I can think of is that I'm probably going to have love bites in the morning and I just hope I can hide them before Kimi picks me up to take me into work.’
- ‘The ropes had scraped her shoulders and neck, while repeated clinches had left her muscles speckled with what looked like a dozen furious and random love bites.’
- ‘She was found to have a love bite on her neck, a split lip, a sore scalp and scratches down her back thought to have been caused by the fall down the embankment.’
- ‘I worried about filming the next morning but Madison assured me that makeup can do wonders and there would be no problems with the love bites.’
- ‘Were you aware that a hickey is ‘a temporary mark on the skin… A love bite or similar temporary aberration?’’
- ‘He placed a little love bite on my forearm and ran his hand down my spine.’
- ‘When he pulled away, a shadowy love bite showed at the base of her throat.’
- ‘Sexual arousal tends to raise the threshold at which pain is experienced, and thus love bites, pinches, slaps, and other non-specifically arousing acts may feed back into the process of sexual arousal and enhance its intensity.’
- ‘‘I remember dragging some poor unfortunate boy through the door who had put a love bite on Kellie's neck,’ Raymond says.’
- ‘The court heard yesterday how the teenager, described as vulnerable at the time of the assault, returned home half-undressed, with love bites on her and unable to remember what had happened.’
- ‘He said he gave the woman a love bite and went to sleep.’
- ‘Disgusted, Emma noticed the huge shiny love bite on Matt's neck.’
- ‘She would rather have faced the Devil alone then come to school with a love bite mark on her neck.’
- ‘They were all females, and some of them had deep cuts from love bites, inflicted during their violent love-making.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.