One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for heartsease
- ‘Hatching a plan to win the Indian boy, Oberon sends Puck in search of a flower called love-in-idleness.’
- ‘Large-flowered modern varieties are the result of hybridising the wild pansy, viola tricolor, also known as love-in-idleness, kiss-me-quick and heartsease.’
- ‘The play's joke is that, while under the influence of the drug love-in-idleness, Titania cannot see just how bestial, how ridiculous, how mortal - in short, how ‘gross’ - Bottom has become.’
- ‘Oberon resolves to defeat her by applying the magic juice of a flower, love-in-idleness, to her eyes as she sleeps, which will make her fall in love with the next creature she sees: he sends Robin to fetch it.’
- ‘And don't you love the fact that another name for pansy is ‘love-in-idleness’?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.