Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of organisms or habitats) inhabiting or situated in rapidly moving fresh water.Compare with lentic
- ‘Macrophytes play a key role in many unshaded lotic ecosystems, but little is known of the factors controlling their presence, abundance, and composition.’
- ‘Most important, perhaps, is the addition of lake-derived energy sources, including the high quality/quantity of seston upon which filter-feeding lotic insects depend.’
- ‘Flow can vary along a lotic stretch, but as a rule, maximum velocity is midstream near the surface.’
- ‘The major difference between a lotic ecosystem and a lentic ecosystem is the persistent flow of water in a lotic ecosystem.’
- ‘An understanding of factors that influence species richness of lotic insects is generally lacking.’
Early 20th century: from Latin lotus washing + -ic.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.