One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(especially of a business) losing money, rather than making a profit.‘subsidies to loss-making industries’
- ‘The company told the inquiry that no commercial lender would support such a loss-making business and it would be forced into liquidation.’
- ‘The loss-making biotechnology industry is another example, with companies looking at consolidation to cut costs.’
- ‘It also said the discrepancy in joint-venture income was due to loss-making joint ventures.’
- ‘A predictable response, retort media analysts, who believe that the loss-making business can no longer be sustained.’
- ‘It looks more like an ethical excuse to get out of a loss-making business that's not really going anywhere.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.