One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Beowulf begins with a description of a lordless people and ends with another lordless people; the overall tonality is elegiac, and one of the major symbols of the poem's beginning, as of its conclusion, is the funeral of a great king.’
- ‘He survived unharmed, but with the establishment of the new Meiji era under the rule of the Emperor Mutsushito he was now like a ronin - a lordless samurai, drifting in the sea.’
- ‘The result is a lordless, man-centered religion supported by an elaborate biblical system.’
- ‘While they are ronin they cannot be part of any ‘group’ just as those lordless samurais in the feudal age in Japan.’
- ‘His retainers, now ronin, lordless samurai, pretend to scatter, some of them appearing to live dissolute lives.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.