Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to small aquatic invertebrates belonging to a group of phyla characterized by the possession of lophophores. They include bryozoans, brachiopods, and phoronids.
- ‘Molecular data sets indicate that lophophorate phyla are trochozoans but generally do not support grouping bryozoans with the phoronids and brachiopods.’
- ‘One lophophorate phylum, the brachiopods, has a rich fossil record that dates back 600 Myr and contains more than 12,000 species; today, about 335 species are known.’
- ‘Instead, Lophotrochozoa has a node-based definition, and is comprised of the ‘last common ancestor of the three traditional lophophorate taxa, the molluscs, and the annelids, and all of the descendants of that common ancestor’.’
- ‘Phoronida is a second lophophorate phylum, comprising coelomate, vermiform animals living in chitinous tubes.’
- ‘In recent years, a new hypothesis of evolution has been proposed in which all molting animals fall into a single clade called Ecdysozoa and in which the lophophorate groups are considered to be protostomes rather than deuterostomes.’
A lophophorate animal.
- ‘The lophotrochozoan clade (defined as all the descendants of the last common ancestor of lophophorates, mollusks, and annelids) is more inclusive than originally suspected.’
- ‘However, these two features are common in several different invertebrate phyla: tubular shells occur in, e.g., molluscs, annelids, lophophorates, and egg-shaped embryonic shells in, e.g., molluscs and bryozoans.’
- ‘Also, the mollusc sequence grouped with the sequences from lophophorates (brachiopod and phoronid).’
- ‘Into the early 1990s most researchers and evidence suggested that the deuterostomes were composed of chordates, hemichordates, echinoderms, chaetognaths, and lophophorates.’
- ‘They are lophophorates, and so are related to the Bryozoa and Phoronida.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.