One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Crazy; deranged.‘this loony tunes conspiracy theory’‘the whole deal was loony tunes’
- ‘If you run through the policies now, they sound totally loony tunes.’
- ‘The whole deal was loony tunes - except without wackiness or daffiness.’
- ‘I know he's 72, but he is loony tunes!’
- ‘I don't know about you all, but it sounds a little bit looney tunes to me.’
- ‘With Sun, Uranus, Neptune and the weekend Moon playing loony tunes in the curious universe of Aquarius, who could predict what this week's winds of mischief will bring?’
- ‘I just think they're looney tunes and out of control down south, so don't bother.’
- ‘He is loony tunes but he put a lot of thought into the design, shape and point of his dress.’
- ‘He is looney tunes but harmless, and his contribution to the game is colossal.’
- ‘‘Claims to have the world's most dangerous variety trick,’ is the line she uses to open the song, seemingly oblivious to the degree of danger her own loony tunes variety act carries.’
- ‘If you think you live in a democracy, or that the government gives a damn what you think, you really are looney tunes.’
- ‘From its manic looney tunes introduction to Amélie's unhappy childhood, to the dreaming couple's motorbike ride, Amélie is ripe with bawdy humor, trippy invention, and sweet promise.’
- ‘But the convenience of centralised shopping doesn't have to mean the insanity of centralised livestock farming and loony tunes imports of things we don't need and didn't ask for.’
plural nounNorth American
Crazy or deranged people.
- ‘Everyone said, "You guys are a bunch of looney tunes." Now, they're saying, "You're a bunch of geniuses ."’
- ‘The first question is why parents should be happy to entrust their children to the bunch of looney tunes who run our schools.’
- ‘But looking at the rest of his features, you would never know that he is a looney tunes.’
1980s: from Looney Tunes, the name of a US animated cartoon series that began in the 1930s, featuring Bugs Bunny and other characters.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.