Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Used to draw attention to what one is about to say.‘Looky there! You've gone and broken it’
- ‘One for her, one for you and, looky, she's so busy learning she forgot she wanted to make out with you.’
- ‘‘Well that is the problem, we do,’ cackled the man, turning his attention to me, ‘Oh looky there!’’
- ‘It's ironic that research like this is so often embraced by conservatives as evidence that government programs ought to be abolished - looky here, biology is destiny and there's not much to be done about it.’
- ‘‘Well looky here boys,’ the person, whose face was hidden by a velvety purple hood, laughed snidely.’
- ‘‘Hey, looky there,’ a raspy voice said, loud enough for anyone to hear.’
- ‘I'm sure his opinion is that ‘it isn't my book, it's their film’ and ‘ooh looky, I've got some money.’’
- ‘Kira completely ignored what he was whining about, and said ‘Ohh looky!’’
- ‘‘Looky, looky,’ He felt with his senses that they all looked up, towards him and felt Anna stiffen and stubbornly keep her eyes away from him.’
- ‘‘Well, looky here,’ Lana shoved a notice in my face, ‘Looks like a dance is coming up!’’
- ‘Oh, lookie! It's another Chicago-centered "lifestyle blog!"’
- ‘OH LOOKIE!!! Another turn of events… Life has been turned upside again.’
- ‘But if you really want, I could rewrite the chapter so that he finds that the door is locked, and the hole in the ceiling is magically fixed, and ooh looky, he only has twelve hours to live, might as well make them worthwhile…’
- ‘Looky looky, another update, and not too long after the other one.’
- ‘They stopped, hearing a voice, ‘Well, looky what we have here.’’
- ‘‘Well looky here,’ the leader began, peering down at me maliciously.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.