Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who is a spectator rather than a participant in a situation.
onlooker, watcher, fly on the wall, viewer, observer, witness, eyewitness, bystander, non-participant, sightseerView synonyms
- ‘I asked an astute hockey observer about the player, whom even a casual looker-on like me recognizes as a skilled player, himself dogged by clutchers and grabbers.’
- ‘They operated so close to the lookers-on, we responded viscerally to their feats.’
- ‘But, as local art students and lookers-on alike asked, did these free thinking experiments beyond the studio space constitute art?’
- ‘The display of lighting may not have been to the taste of some modern lookers-on, but it was certainly in keeping with the taste of the original medieval architects.’
- ‘The truly native products of whiskey and stout were also represented, drawing a faint cheer from the lookers-on.’
- ‘Now, I would expect that these lookers-on pay their taxes on time, mow their lawns, put out the garbage, and obey the law.’
- ‘Although I furnished the 'hall' I could only be a 'looker on', at the happy function of 'dancing in' my new house!’
- ‘It appears to me, indeed, that, while an air of artificiality is lent to a tale of complex and sophisticated people which the novelist causes to be guessed at and interpreted by any mere looker-on, there need be no such drawback if the looker-on is sophisticated, and the people he interprets are simple.’
- ‘In A Really Good Brown Girl, the presence of lookers-on, scrutinizing, judging, labelling, is constant.’
- ‘But the aspect of his appearance on this particular morning that most interested the lookers-on was not the coat, but rather the glint of gold that caught the light on his breast.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.