One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Make social contact with someone.
visit, pay a visit to, call on, go to see, look in onView synonyms
- ‘Do look us up again when you are in America - perhaps next year.’
- ‘Sometimes, an Italian friend on a visit to London would look him up.’
- ‘I'd lost touch with him, and was meaning to look him up.’
- ‘If you're in Berlin, promise to look us up.’
- ‘Alena accepted the invitation to look him up when she came on her planned visit to Dawson that summer.’
- ‘I said I was an old friend and I'd come to visit York and wanted to look him up.’
- ‘We have got a young chef just starting college and Anthony gave him his number and asked him to look him up if he was in the area, which made his day.’
- ‘We emailed for a bit too but are now out of contact - I should probably look her up again some time.’
- ‘Man, I seriously need to look you up when I come visit my parents in Spring.’
- ‘If you are every going through central Kentucky look me up.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.