One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
View a situation pessimistically.
pessimistic, depressing, downbeat, looking on the black side, disheartening, disappointing, dispiriting, unpromising, unfavourable, bleak, bad, dark, black, sombre, melancholy, saddening, distressing, grim, cheerless, comfortless, hopelessView synonyms
- ‘Try not to be depressed or look on the black side of things, because that might affect your personal well-being.’
- ‘My advice to anyone who has kidney failure is not to be pessimistic and don't look on the black side.’
- ‘We bankers are a conservative lot, we tend to look on the black side.’
- ‘Roland points out that she's looking on the black side again; Shane could also be better by tomorrow.’
- ‘A suspicious mind always looks on the black side of things.’
- ‘You shouldn't always look on the black side if you haven't heard from someone for a while though.’
- ‘Then I saw that I was only looking on the black side and started thinking of the fact that escape is always possible.’
- ‘But, notwithstanding my determination to look on the black side of things, life isn't uniformly bad.’
- ‘Are you troubled by negative thoughts - do you feel down a lot of the time - does your mind always look on the black side for the future?’
- ‘You tend to look on the black side of everything, see the worst in yourself, in your life and your future.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.