One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
With a yearning desire.‘I have been gazing longingly at the menu’‘they still longingly think of their former homeland’
- ‘I glanced longingly at the bright green bottle of Mountain Dew.’
- ‘Soldiers look longingly at brand-new Range Rovers and compare them to their beaten-up "old" vehicles.’
- ‘He stared longingly outside, wishing to be out there among the people, taking a brisk walk in the city.’
- ‘He looked longingly at the pastries sitting on the counter.’
- ‘Why do we wait upon the shoreline and look longingly towards the horizon?’
- ‘The first factory workers in New England often wrote longingly about the countryside they had left behind.’
- ‘His slate gray eyes stared longingly into my own.’
- ‘She propped her chin on the desk, staring longingly at the phone.’
- ‘They stare longingly at a row of classics bound in leather.’
- ‘Their impetus of drunken fun ranges from the longingly somber to the deepest screams.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.