Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The traditional dwelling of the Iroquois and other North American Indians.
- ‘Next door is a towering log, stone and glass masterpiece modeled after a Native American longhouse that may be the most dramatic place you've ever taken a yoga class.’
- ‘They danced inside and underneath the enormous longhouses, concluding the celebrations with the consumption of large amounts of prepared foods, including sago and yams.’
- ‘In the grounds behind the museum there are two longhouses in Haida tribal style, as well as ten more totem poles.’
- ‘The Iroquois traditionally lived in longhouses, impressively striking in appearance.’
- ‘The Haida's reputation isn't well known south of the border, but their canoes, longhouses, and cedar totem poles represent a high point in North American art.’
- 1.1 A large communal village house in parts of Malaysia and Indonesia.
- ‘Families were encouraged to leave the longhouses and live separately on small farms so the men could work in their fields without being embarrassed by being seen doing women's work.’
- ‘One late middle-aged man, an active farmer, was a regular smoker of local cigars (which he smoked both at the longhouse and at the distant rice farms).’
- ‘By AD 1500, settlements were large, pallisaded villages with longhouses and garden plots capable of supporting up to 250-300 people.’
- ‘Using Casselberry's formula, this indicates an increase from a population of 15 to 61 persons within a single longhouse.’
- ‘According to William M. Fenton, a longhouse typically held from six to ten nuclear families, each of about five or six persons, and two families shared every fire.’
- ‘He's in charge of putting up this longhouse for the group to move into.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.