One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1derogatory, informal A person with long hair or characteristics associated with it, such as a hippie or intellectual.‘the longhairs among us urged raids on government buildings’
- ‘One day, in comes a gangly, loud-talking hippie longhair sporting a shirt fresh off the dirty laundry pile.’
- ‘Travis, Dallas, Sean and Mike look like the kind of disreputable longhairs that southern sheriffs were always trying to run out of town in movies from the Sixties.’
- ‘Unfortunately, it has already been written that these lame-brained longhairs are destined to be huge.’
- ‘The transcript doesn't say who it was, but the question itself makes you wonder how the blazes some Linux-loving hippy longhair got into the meeting in the first place.’
- ‘These three longhairs hinted at greatness on their first EP, but with this new joint they are clearly the ones to beat on the Canadian underground rock scene.’
- ‘He is no jive-talking longhair who spouts about ‘universal brotherhood’ and ‘sharing’ all the way to the bank.’
- 1.1 A devotee of classical music.
2A cat of a long-haired breed.
- ‘This process was accelerated, one suspects, by the introduction of colorpoint longhairs to Birman breeding programs.’
- ‘Cat registries could, however, stop you from showing the descendants of those longhairs and from using such cats legitimately in your breeding program.’
- ‘Some associations followed TICA's lead and permitted exotic longhairs to compete as Persians because they look like Persians and if bred to Persians will produce nothing but longhaired kittens.’
- ‘A black-and-white longhair sniffs her way around her new home, stops and scratches.’
- ‘The village was run over with stray cats, tabbies, longhairs, shorthairs, tomcats, and all other imaginable breeds, even the Casper Cat (known for its lack of whiskers and hair).’
- ‘They include many popular breeds as well as non-pedigreed longhairs and shorthairs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.