Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An edible juicy fruit from a plant related to the lychee, cultivated in Southeast Asia.
- ‘Others in the same genus are the longan, rambutan, and pulasan.’
- ‘Thai fruit farmers are celebrating after Australia gave the green light to begin imports of Thai lychees and longans, which sailed through recent Australian safety inspections.’
- ‘Grains and beans such as wheat, sticky rice, peas and soybean are recommended for attaining this therapeutic benefit, while oranges, litchi and longans are said to be the most effective fruits.’
- ‘Then, some businessmen began to sell small, round steamed cakes filled with longan, lotus seeds and lotus root starch to people to eat while chatting and watching the moon.’
- ‘The Thai fruits which are most popular include durians, mangosteens, rambutans, and longans.’
- ‘The city features six fruits - lemon, lychee, banana, longan, pomelo and pineapple - and three flowers - narcissus, camellia and orchid.’
- ‘Only 12 items, including tapioca starch, frozen shrimp, longan and pineapple, remain to be resolved, ministry officials said.’
- ‘This turned out to be a Chocolate Fondue with bananas, rambutans, longans and pineapple in separate containers alongside.’
- ‘The deputy agriculture minister announced the measures in the wake of a recent ban on the import of Thai longans imposed by China, which claims to have found insecticide and toxin residue in them.’
- ‘If you've traveled to Asia, you may have eaten a longan - also called dragon's eye.’
- ‘At a traditional Chinese wedding, several kinds of dried fruits and nuts are indispensable: dates, peanuts, and sometimes longan and lotus seeds.’
Mid 18th century: from Chinese lóngyǎn, literally ‘dragon's eye’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.