One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Said to express loyalty or support for a specified person or thing.‘long live the Queen!’
- ‘Industry is dead, long live the new information economy.’
- ‘Long live any artist who can take the time to produce an album that represents the music they love.’
- ‘Long live freedom - use your vote at the next Elections!’
- ‘I just want to say, long live India and long live Indian cricket.’
- ‘There was an amazingly diverse audience at the show, proving that Celtic music is not just for old folk from the old country - long live the fiddle!’
- ‘Differences exist - long live the differences!’
- ‘Long live the movement for global democracy.’
- ‘The evil queen is dead, long live King Geoffrey.’
- ‘Cue a fanfare, followed by a rousing rendition of ‘the king is dead, long live the king’.’
- ‘No longer will the Internet be seen as a place to buy things cheaper - long live the rich.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.