One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Arithmetical division in which the divisor has two or more figures, and a series of steps is made as successive groups of digits of the dividend are divided by the divisor, to avoid excessive mental calculation.
- ‘Instead, she used her concept image, which was based on long division.’
- ‘How many schoolteachers could explain the rules for long division, let alone the algorithm for taking square roots, in terms other than the execution of a routine?’
- ‘I actually read the backs of baseball cards, and learned to calculate batting averages before the concepts of fractions or long division were introduced in school.’
- ‘She would not be coming back to teach the fourth graders how to memorize their multiplication tables, or how to do long division.’
- ‘Her mother always reminded her of how she was doing long division when she was three and complex algebraic equations by the time she was five.’
- ‘We were learning how to do long division with big numbers being divided by two-digit numbers in math.’
- ‘This more subtle observation cannot be appreciated without a minimal knowledge of introductory inferential statistics and the ability to do long division.’
- ‘With those data, the interface might then direct the student toward help with long division rather than with multiplication.’
- ‘If you have a calculator or remember long division, you could reduce 1/38 to the decimal 0.0263 or the percentage 2.63 percent.’
- ‘You can use the same algorithm as long division in decimal, but the values will go in either one time or 0 times.’
- ‘Today even basic math skills such as long division and the division of fractions are under assault.’
- ‘To find the greatest common divisor of 77 and 187 using the Euclidean algorithm involves the process of long division, which you might have first encountered in elementary school.’
- ‘Multiplication tables and long division are being being made simpler at a Japanese maths club in Warminster.’
- ‘Still, he is teaching calculus to guys who struggled with long division.’
- ‘The Babylonians did not have an algorithm for long division.’
- ‘The experience of producing laserdiscs was crucial to me in getting to DVD, because it was like learning long division by hand before getting to use a calculator.’
- ‘As your child's tenth birthday approaches, you could be trying to keep up with skills in long division and multiplication and enjoying the creativity of short stories presented for your approval.’
- ‘As a result of fuzzy maths, where primary students are allowed to use calculators and where basic algorithms like long division are no longer taught, many students are unable to do mental arithmetic or to recite their times tables.’
- ‘Now we have to catch a criminal plus do long division!’
- ‘Do you even know the multiplication table or long division?’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.