One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Likewise, alphabetic and syllabic scripts frequently make some use of logograms and logographic values.’
- ‘The writing system was logographic, where one sign or sign-group was used for each term or concept without adding grammatical elements.’
- ‘These cleverly arrange into around 140 neat syllables which block into words - three writing systems in one, alphabetic, syllabic and logographic.’
- ‘This kind of system is more difficult to learn than a logographic language, such as Chinese, in which written symbols generally correspond to whole words, rather than parts of words.’
- ‘Each graph stood for a whole word, and the writing was therefore logographic, or in less common parlance, lexigraphic.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.