Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A symbol or other design adopted by an organization to identify its products, uniform, vehicles, etc.‘the Olympic logo was emblazoned across their jackets’
emblem, trademarkdevice, symbol, design, sign, mark, figure, stamp, monograminsignia, crest, seal, coat of arms, shield, badge, motif, hallmark, logotype, colophonView synonyms
- ‘Is he using proprietary logos without permission, and operating without the necessary business permits?’
- ‘For proof, according to a Canadian Press story, he has the team's logo tattooed on his chest.’
- ‘On the wall behind him is a large painted mirror bearing his corporate logo.’
- ‘Many pails had a manufacturer's name or logo embossed across the bottom.’
- ‘The team's logo appears on signs hanging from just about every fixed object in the city of Sendai.’
- ‘There are five different types of pin badges and all have the wheelchair logo embossed upon each one.’
- ‘Generally, we only have to set limits on the size of logos that promote various products.’
- ‘The school logo was designed by one of the students.’
- ‘In exchange for financial support, each plastic shelter may be readily produced bearing a corporate logo.’
- ‘The Volunteer Action Centre's most recent project was designing a new company logo.’
- ‘His firm often works with the developers of its buildings to design logos and signage.’
- ‘Instead of having T-shirts, they had their logos emblazoned on snuff boxes.’
- ‘The bug, of course, is that little translucent network logo in the corner.’
- ‘Graphic design technology has brought in a new dimension towards designing the company business logo.’
- ‘The logo appears as part of a special series of features commemorating this milestone.’
- ‘In fact, the mural will hang across the street and will feature sponsor logos, but not their slogans.’
- ‘Bowlers involved will wear sponsor logos on their shirt backs and right sleeves.’
- ‘Traditionally, viral ads were snappy, entertaining clips that carried a brand logo or web address.’
- ‘The founders of the red tractor logo acknowledge that there is still much to be done to raise consumer recognition.’
- ‘The full USA Basketball logo appears on both the jersey and the short.’
1930s: abbreviation of logogram or logotype.
A high-level programming language used to teach computer programming to children.
From Greek logos word spelled as if an acronym.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.