One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘It commissions exit polls, carries them, goads some politician into deriding them and then spends half an hour discussing loftily why exit polls serve a purpose.’
- ‘These loftily general values, in other words, hide some deep conflicts - conflicts that new technologies may not help us to overcome.’
- ‘Thirty students, including 13 girls, took part in the three-hour session, conducted in the serene atmosphere of the Gandhi Museum, which stands loftily for peace and non-violence.’
- ‘Begging ought to be banned, they proclaimed loftily.’
- ‘In the previous national elections it poured scorn on the idea of coalitions and alignments, going loftily alone, and came home with the worst electoral performance in its history.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.