One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘These loftily general values, in other words, hide some deep conflicts - conflicts that new technologies may not help us to overcome.’
- ‘In the previous national elections it poured scorn on the idea of coalitions and alignments, going loftily alone, and came home with the worst electoral performance in its history.’
- ‘Begging ought to be banned, they proclaimed loftily.’
- ‘Thirty students, including 13 girls, took part in the three-hour session, conducted in the serene atmosphere of the Gandhi Museum, which stands loftily for peace and non-violence.’
- ‘It commissions exit polls, carries them, goads some politician into deriding them and then spends half an hour discussing loftily why exit polls serve a purpose.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.