Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to locomotion.‘locomotor organs’
- ‘We would be remiss not to reiterate that plants and animals differ, of course, in many ways other than in behavioral and locomotor capacities.’
- ‘Activation of the dentate gyrus may merely reflect the intensity of the locomotor activity after the animals have already decided how intensely they want to run.’
- ‘Movement in a rectilinear manner decreases the resistive forces associated with the locomotor activity and minimizes the distance traveled.’
- ‘In contrast to fish myomeres, the axial locomotor muscles of dolphins are organized into longitudinal tracts as is typical of mammals.’
- ‘The labroid fishes are pectoral fin locomotor specialists and a model for examining fin-based swimming.’
Early 19th century: from locomotion + motor.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.