Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A box that locks, usually for storing money or valuables.
- ‘Well done, Mac - now explain to us how that lockbox works again?’
- ‘This lockbox enables you to basically lock a key, a door key, inside.’
- ‘David's lockbox, which they had stolen from the old hideaway, contained the plans for an amazing weather glider.’
- ‘Seraph stood and put the iron lockbox back in the safe and closed the picture over it.’
- ‘Uncle Monty told me you'd be the only one with a key to that lockbox, and would know the combination to the safe.’
- ‘When someone came over to sell him drugs, Felix was to record the transaction, show the person out, and, without leaving the camera's view, put the drugs he'd bought into a lockbox and lock it with a padlock.’
- ‘A fireproof safe, locking filing cabinet or portable lockbox all provide suitable storage.’
- ‘If you plant that money in your bosom or plant it in a lockbox, it will not grow.’
- ‘I've said it before, and Gephardt's comment reveals the truth of my earlier assertion that there is no lockbox.’
- ‘So, Tom, you've installed this lockbox, because, let's face it, nobody puts a key under the mat any more.’
- ‘During that flight, the gun was placed in a lockbox and stored in the plane's cargo section.’
2A service provided by a bank, whereby the bank receives, processes, and deposits all of a company's receivables.
3Any of various computerized devices or services intended to prevent the unauthorized distribution or copying of digitally stored or transmitted data.
- ‘The content in the lockbox can be synced to any number of computers, which helps law firms and other such organizations keep their documents accessible, updated, and, most importantly, secure.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.