One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The administration of a particular town, county, or district, with representatives elected by those who live there.
local authority, municipal authority, civic authority, legislative body, legislature, administration, executive, chamber, assembly, ministry, governing body, government, parliament, senate, congress, diet, cabinetView synonyms
- ‘He wants to see the government put more money into local government so that council tax bills can be kept down.’
- ‘These hold to account the executive councillors in the new form of cabinet local government.’
- ‘The Communist Party used to win all the elections and ran local governments.’
- ‘Nationally, we are the second party of local government and run councils up and down the country.’
- ‘Yet the tradition of unpaid public services is still important in local government.’
- ‘It changed the entire planning world and left local government to deal with it all by itself.’
- ‘Congress, regional and local governments, as well as the state bureaucracy, were dominated by the elite.’
- ‘The local government is saying the workers will all have jobs, but says it cannot afford to keep the plant going.’
- ‘This group will consult with a range of Governments, local governments, and community interests.’
- ‘It is what leads them into a coalition with the Lib Dems when they get the chance in local government.’
- ‘Each worker has to apply for a permit from their local government to work in the townships.’
- ‘This is not going to be an easy hurdle for local government to come to terms with.’
- ‘It would be better to argue that local government should be funded entirely by business rates.’
- ‘Together they decide to set up an internet company to make money out of local government.’
- ‘The State Council has told local governments to deal with the aftermath of the halted and suspended projects.’
- ‘New Labour set up executive mayors to make local government even less accountable.’
- ‘He is one of those people who has been synonymous with local government in Auckland.’
- ‘In the current climate government and local government has to be honest and open.’
- ‘There have already been huge votes for strike action in local government and elsewhere.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.