Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The customs, manner of speech, dress, or other typical features of a place or period that contribute to its particular character.‘reporters in search of local color and gossip’
- ‘It's typical of the record, which is packed with local colour and incident, with lost souls and loony tooners shuffling in and out of the action, which seems to take place in the middle of the Canadian nowhere.’
- ‘This was not just a bit of exotic local colour, this was a reminder of power, that here, before memory, there had not been mere tokens of sacrifice.’
- ‘The production is packed with local colour, topical gaga, song, dance and some spectacular special effects.’
- ‘She is extremely short on local colour, which is a pity, because all Upper Houses are individual in their different ways - though none as quaint as the House of Lords, which is almost painfully picturesque.’
- ‘In Wei's eyes, there is nothing wrong if tour guides introduce them to certain shops which they believe have the most local colour and provide fine goods.’
- ‘It's very typical of France of the end of the last century, because of its focus on local colour, on exoticism.’
- ‘It was fascinating seeing more metropolitan types coming down in their matching cashmere jumpers to the old port for the day to soak up some local colour.’
- ‘But perhaps, if we are lucky, unsuspecting tourists will put all these inconveniences down to local colour and consider Scotland, through their rose-tinted sunglasses, a quaint destination.’
- ‘Their charge is most emphatically not to infuse their findings with local color or personality.’
- ‘Unfortunately, more time is spent in conjuring up local colour and period detail than in developing any of these characters.’
- ‘He (Nick, not the PM) continues to intrigue me with his saga of love, sex, politics, bodily malfunctions and local colour in Paris.’
- ‘In terms of other examples of local colour, there are also some spectacular Vietnamese merchants' houses in Hoi An which are open to the public.’
- ‘There will no doubt be plenty of local colour and fine-sounding speeches.’
- ‘Two years ago they cut the program up and tried to put some local colour (Latvian-Australian drag queens and the like) between the songs.’
- ‘So I tried to do some modest research on customer service in order to work out whether there was any room anywhere for local colour.’
- ‘Capturing local colour such as the kazoo-playing marching band, the camera returns repeatedly to Polish war bride Jeannie, a delightfully foul-mouthed presence.’
- ‘That would be unnecessary local colour and would simply muddy the issue.’
- ‘For example, programs with stars focus on young people and programs with local color compete for the middle-aged and older market.’
- ‘It would enhance the attractiveness of local towns and villages because people like traveling to see local colour.’
- ‘No matter which eatery you choose, you're bound to have a dining experience with local color and character.’
The natural color of a thing in ordinary daylight, uninfluenced by the proximity of other colors.
- ‘Once the bleach has been applied and the board is dry, local color is applied sparingly using chalk pastels.’
- ‘The expressive use of what Van Gogh called arbitrary as opposed to local colour is facilitated by the garden of artifice created by the paintings.’
- ‘The students started with local color, and then built up color with layers.’
- ‘Painted in broad, thin, local color and held by black contour lines, each form feels unable to dislodge itself.’
- ‘It is still a disturbing picture - overthrowing perspective, single viewpoint, integral form, local colour, decorative colour.’
local color/ˈlōkəl ˈkələr/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.