One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Perform a lobotomy on.
- ‘But Rosemary, when she was younger, was lobotomized.’
- ‘He is taken away, and when he returns, he has been lobotomized.’
- ‘The character has been lobotomised and spends almost the entire play standing against the wall with arms raised as though nailed to a crucifix.’
- ‘There is no known documentation that Farmer was ever lobotomized; and indeed, this gruesome tale may distract attention from the legitimate horrors she and other patients were subjected to, including the denial of civil rights.’
- ‘After eight years she was scheduled to be lobotomised and her mother was persuaded to sign the relevant documents.’
- 1.1informal Reduce the mental or emotional capacity or ability to function of.‘couples we knew who had been lobotomized by the birth of their children’
- ‘And then the writers seemed to want to lobotomize Justin into a kid who sank to his knees every time Brian got within 50 feet of him.’
- ‘Ask any Australian who hasn't had their conscience lobotomized by the Right Wing Death Beasts.’
- ‘If teachers didn't resist each new fad, they'd be lobotomized.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.