Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A pine tree of the southern US that has very long slender needles and is an important source of timber.
- ‘Since officials began aggressively suppressing wildfire, many of Florida's forests have been taken over by slash and loblolly pine.’
- ‘In loblolly pine, the leading timber species of North America, the physical and chemical properties of wood have been studied extensively in a single population of modest size.’
- ‘Dry woodland has a diversity of species but is dominated by loblolly pine, rock chestnut oak, and a shrubby layer of azaleas and New Jersey tea.’
- ‘Both experienced considerable damage from an ice-storm in 1994, which appeared to have had the greatest negative impact on loblolly pine.’
- ‘This project combines fire rehabilitation with watershed and ecosystem restoration on sites where loblolly pine has been ravaged by bugs and blight.’
2A small evergreen tree of the tea family, with baylike leaves and white camellialike flowers, native to the southeastern US.
- ‘Jonathan Evans, who teaches biology at the University of the South in Sewanee, Tennessee, says the industry needs to quit pushing the fantasy that replacing all these trees with loblolly is ‘reforestation.’’
- ‘After lunch, we abandon our canoes and slog through knee-high water to Panther Mound, a raised piece of land, or hammock, thick with gumbo-limbo trees, loblollies, and strangler figs.’
- ‘Swamp bay, loblolly bay, and swamp dogwood are plentiful; the Virginia chain fern and the swamp fern are almost always present.’
3A marshy patch of ground.
dated A thick mush or gruel.
Late 16th century (denoting thick gruel): the reason for the application of the word to the two plants, and the word's origin, are unknown.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.