Surgical removal of a lobe of an organ such as the thyroid gland, lung, or liver.
- ‘Seven days after the bronchoscopy the patient went to the operating room for a right lower lobe lobectomy and wedge biopsy of the right middle lung.’
- ‘Patients with peripheral tumors with or without metastases to hilar nodes are usually treated with surgical lobectomy or pneumonectomy.’
- ‘The patient underwent right hepatic lobectomy with total resection of the lesions based on surgical exploration and intraoperative ultrasound examination.’
- ‘The right middle lobe was emphysematous and a right middle lobectomy was performed.’
- ‘Human bronchi were obtained from lung resections or lobectomies and cultured as previously described.’
- ‘The subjects were consecutive patients who required pneumonectomy or lobectomy for small peripheral lung nodules; they were not selected to represent an obstructed and nonobstructed group.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.