Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Surgical removal of a lobe of an organ such as the thyroid gland, lung, or liver.
- ‘The right middle lobe was emphysematous and a right middle lobectomy was performed.’
- ‘The patient underwent right hepatic lobectomy with total resection of the lesions based on surgical exploration and intraoperative ultrasound examination.’
- ‘The subjects were consecutive patients who required pneumonectomy or lobectomy for small peripheral lung nodules; they were not selected to represent an obstructed and nonobstructed group.’
- ‘Human bronchi were obtained from lung resections or lobectomies and cultured as previously described.’
- ‘Patients with peripheral tumors with or without metastases to hilar nodes are usually treated with surgical lobectomy or pneumonectomy.’
- ‘Seven days after the bronchoscopy the patient went to the operating room for a right lower lobe lobectomy and wedge biopsy of the right middle lung.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.