Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having a lobe or lobes.‘lobate oak leaves’
- ‘The median lobate structure, formed by fusion of the two median muscle boundaries of the true lobes, may be extended away from the two lateral lobate structures (which are the lateral muscle boundaries of the true lobes).’
- ‘The dynamic and unstable nature of this regulatory loop best explains the lobate and asymmetric colony margin of the SA type.’
- ‘Among armadillos, some groups reduced their dentition in response to myrmecophagy and some acquired lobate teeth and accentuated differences in hardness of dentine types.’
- ‘The structure is radial and lobate with a series of narrow and wide lobes.’
- ‘At the distal end, the axis is turned upward and lobate and is divided into five lobes.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.