One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Action to reduce the load on something, especially the interruption of an electricity supply to avoid excessive load on the generating plant.
- ‘The national security forces were put on high alert last night, as the country braced for possible blackouts and load-shedding, after the failure of a major gas pipeline supplying T & TEC.’
- ‘Those of us who are looking for an end to the days of power cuts and load-shedding may be anxious at the games the monsoon is playing.’
- ‘There is a sudden scramble for lanterns, re-chargeable solar lanterns and even candles in shops now, as people prepare themselves to brave load-shedding that promises not to go away any time in the near future.’
- ‘Even as the audience rushed to get out of the hall, before the mandatory half-an-hour's load-shedding got up with them, the rhythm of tribal music was in them.’
- ‘Last year was a disaster as the industrial units suffered losses of billions of rupees due to an eight-hour daily load-shedding and low voltage problem.’
- ‘But Mumbai, like Bangalore, has been prioritised in power supply so there is never any load-shedding here, though the rest of the state including IT hubs like Navi Mumbai and Pune suffer from this problem.’
- ‘They have pushed the state into bankruptcy, unemployment is soaring and load-shedding is going up.’
- ‘For all you leering lechers, a severe drought and eventual brown-outs, load-shedding and power failures could prove a bonanza.’
- ‘Clark Cotton Zambia in Chipata has complained that the load-shedding has devastated the ginning of cotton and has pushed up the company's operation costs.’
- ‘This loss of generation capacity has resulted in deficits during periods of peak demand, which has necessitated load-shedding on some occasions.’
- ‘For the uninitiated, many parts of India suffer from power shortage due to which the local Electricity Boards, mostly run by the government, have to employ a method known as load-shedding.’
- ‘This, the commission said, is in order to minimise the possibility of load-shedding - power failure due to overloading of the system - after two main transformers serving the San Juan sub-station failed on Monday night.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.