One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small elongated bottom-dwelling freshwater fish with several barbels near the mouth, found in Eurasia and northwestern Africa.
- ‘In order to bring to light the Indian varieties there are about 13 species of fish from the Western Ghats, which include half-beak fish, danio, loaches and rasboras.’
- ‘The loach had to go, it was eating all the food and had grown enormous.’
- ‘Clown loaches are schooling fish that should never be kept alone!’
- ‘We have a freshwater fish tank community of tetras, catfish, gouramis and loaches.’
- ‘Another extreme example of habitat adaptation is found in hillstream loaches, which live in the steep, torrential watercourses of Asiatic hillstreams.’
Middle English: from Old French loche, of unknown origin.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.