One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A written statement detailing a person's desires regarding their medical treatment in circumstances in which they are no longer able to express informed consent, especially an advance directive.
- ‘Assuming responsibility for care coordination is especially important at the end of life with the increased emphasis on advance directives and living wills.’
- ‘This study aimed to determine the knowledge of elderly inpatients in the United Kingdom on living wills and their healthcare choices should they write such a will.’
- ‘The case highlights the agonizing medical decisions that living wills were meant to avoid.’
- ‘They extended this concern to issues of malpractice in regards to living wills and organ donations.’
- ‘As nurses, we need to be knowledgeable about the legal implications of advance directives, living wills, health care agent, and conservator of person.’
- ‘Do you have a living will or a durable power of attorney for health care, sometimes called an advanced directive?’
- ‘Other issues that need to be addressed with patients and caregivers include advance directives, the living will and the durable power of attorney.’
- ‘Medical experts say a living will is important because it erases guesswork for families if a loved one becomes seriously ill.’
- ‘Although written living wills were helpful, they were insufficient.’
- ‘This has led critics to regard advance directives as living wills.’
- ‘It turns out that the crash team, on arrival at the ward, had been told that I had written a living will and apparently did not want to be resuscitated.’
- ‘Your loved one may have left a clear guide to end-of-life choices, such as a living will or an advance directive.’
- ‘Documents relating to a living will and advanced directives should be reviewed.’
- ‘Opponents of such living wills could condemn these documents as suicidally motivated refusals of medical treatment.’
- ‘After this event the patient had written a living will to ensure that no such confusion would occur in her case.’
- ‘It is imperative to discuss a living will and advance directives with patients who have terminal cirrhosis.’
- ‘You have to write a living will while you are healthy and able to make your own decisions.’
- ‘Generally, absent a living will or other advance directive, a spouse assumes decision making power if someone becomes incapacitated.’
- ‘The audit focuses on preventive services, including cancer screening, immunizations, and living wills.’
- ‘The moral of the story is that living wills and powers of attorney for healthcare are important to have even if you're young.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.