One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A written statement detailing a person's desires regarding their medical treatment in circumstances in which they are no longer able to express informed consent, especially an advance directive.
- ‘Documents relating to a living will and advanced directives should be reviewed.’
- ‘Although written living wills were helpful, they were insufficient.’
- ‘Generally, absent a living will or other advance directive, a spouse assumes decision making power if someone becomes incapacitated.’
- ‘Opponents of such living wills could condemn these documents as suicidally motivated refusals of medical treatment.’
- ‘The audit focuses on preventive services, including cancer screening, immunizations, and living wills.’
- ‘This study aimed to determine the knowledge of elderly inpatients in the United Kingdom on living wills and their healthcare choices should they write such a will.’
- ‘Other issues that need to be addressed with patients and caregivers include advance directives, the living will and the durable power of attorney.’
- ‘Do you have a living will or a durable power of attorney for health care, sometimes called an advanced directive?’
- ‘You have to write a living will while you are healthy and able to make your own decisions.’
- ‘Medical experts say a living will is important because it erases guesswork for families if a loved one becomes seriously ill.’
- ‘Your loved one may have left a clear guide to end-of-life choices, such as a living will or an advance directive.’
- ‘They extended this concern to issues of malpractice in regards to living wills and organ donations.’
- ‘This has led critics to regard advance directives as living wills.’
- ‘As nurses, we need to be knowledgeable about the legal implications of advance directives, living wills, health care agent, and conservator of person.’
- ‘It turns out that the crash team, on arrival at the ward, had been told that I had written a living will and apparently did not want to be resuscitated.’
- ‘It is imperative to discuss a living will and advance directives with patients who have terminal cirrhosis.’
- ‘After this event the patient had written a living will to ensure that no such confusion would occur in her case.’
- ‘The moral of the story is that living wills and powers of attorney for healthcare are important to have even if you're young.’
- ‘The case highlights the agonizing medical decisions that living wills were meant to avoid.’
- ‘Assuming responsibility for care coordination is especially important at the end of life with the increased emphasis on advance directives and living wills.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.