One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A birth at which a child is born alive.
- ‘But in 2002, it got worse: 7 babies died for each thousand live births, while that rate was 6.8 deaths the year before.’
- ‘There are approximately 680,000 live births per year in the UK.’
- ‘Today, the infant death rate is less than 6 per 1000 live births.’
- ‘Fewer than one-third of conceptions culminate in live births.’
- ‘Pregnancies that would end in miscarriages elsewhere, end in live births here, but live births with sicker babies.’
- ‘Conjoined twins are extremely rare, with the incidence possibly as low as one in every 200,000 live births.’
- ‘Here's a breakdown from 1996 live births of the infant mortality rate by birth weight.’
- ‘This will presumably bring the standard of national registration of live births and stillbirths to that of local registries where these exist.’
- ‘In February the government pledged to lower the infant mortality rate from 68 to 45 per 1,000 live births in the next five years.’
- ‘In total, there were 273,680 live births and 1,667 still births within 7.5 km of all sites combined.’
- ‘The infant variables were sex, singleton or multiple birth, birth order, live birth, stillbirth, and early neonatal death.’
- ‘For every thousand of the city's residents, there are 14.8 live births.’
- ‘Given that there are 680,000 live births to women in Britain per year, this would mean that 68,000 women experience PND annually.’
- ‘With the exception of 2001, this annual total remains the lowest since 1977 when there were 569, 259 live births.’
- ‘Amongst these there were a total of 14 procedures that resulted in a live birth of which 6 were multiple births.’
- ‘The condition is thought to occur in one in every 150 live births and has a maternal mortality rate of 3.5 per cent.’
- ‘The absolute difference is thus 1 per thousand live births.’
- ‘Until 1991, two in every 1,000 live births ended in SIDS.’
- ‘This is our longest duration of storage that has led to a live birth.’
- ‘All analyses of the outcome of the second birth were confined to the subgroup of women whose first birth was a term live birth.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.