One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small, puffy-looking Old World grebe with a short neck and bill and a trilling call.
Genus Tachybaptus, family Podicipedidae: three species, in particular the widespread T. ruficollis (also called dabchick)
- ‘John also reared and released 12 starlings, 11 house martins, eight blackbirds, three bluetits, three hedge sparrows, one greenfinch, one little grebe, five collared doves, 16 pigeons, one seagull, three swifts and a ferret.’
- ‘My visit to the Laundry pond yielded only a few birds, a single little egret, a coot, a pair of little grebes, several ferruginous ducks and a small flock of mallards.’
- ‘Smallest of the grebes, the little grebe, or dabchick, is considerably rounder and more dumpy than its congeners.’
- ‘Bird species to be seen include ringed plover, oystercatcher, redshank and little grebe.’
- ‘There was a group of about 20 little grebes congregated on one end of the pond.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.