One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The smallest finger, at the outer end of the hand, farthest from the thumb.
- ‘She didn't move a muscle, not even a twitch, except for the little finger on her left hand.’
- ‘Or if you're typing, and you think what your little finger of your left hand is doing, it'll disrupt.’
- ‘At one point when I cornered it under a chair in the living room, it bit me on the little finger of my right hand and drew blood.’
- ‘It's sat on the little finger of my left hand for 23 years until it's worn a ridge into the skin.’
- ‘He was missing a little finger on his right hand as a result from his fight with street gangs.’
- ‘He holds up his hand, the little finger and the forefinger extended.’
- ‘And he touched each of the men's foreheads with the little finger of his right hand.’
- ‘This renowned ruggedness has been evident since he lost the little finger on his right hand in a woodchipper accident a month ago.’
- ‘If you look at the little finger on my right hand, for example, you will see a thin, somewhat curved scar.’
- ‘The burst of flash illuminates a mass of arms raised, index fingers and little fingers pointing skywards, in the time-honoured rock salute.’
- ‘There was a faint scar that sloped gently downwards from her index finger to her little finger.’
- ‘The three middle fingers on each hand control the six fingerholes, and the thumbs and little fingers control keys that extend the bass range down to B.’
- ‘Similarly the tip of the middle, ring and little fingers of the top hand will be seen (when the gloves are not worn).’
- ‘I have never seen a good golfer with a weak little finger on his left hand.’
- ‘The little finger of my left hand is missing and - what's even worse - the three middle fingers of my right one are frozen.’
- ‘Once there was a little girl with little hair and little fingers and she got eaten by the big bad wolf.’
- ‘The hands may be broad with short fingers; the little finger may only have one joint instead of two and be slightly curved.’
- ‘The little finger of the right hand is the only whole finger she has, and she uses it eloquently.’
- ‘She brought her thumbs to her little fingers and made her hands as thin as possible.’
- ‘When I type at the computer my thumb and little fingers hurt.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.