One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who is interested in and knowledgeable about literature.
writer, feature writer, contributor, journalist, correspondent, newspaperman, newspaperwoman, newsman, newswomanView synonyms
- ‘One's opinions on veracity might determine whether or not one agrees with the proposition that Tristram Shandy is an appropriate model for the on-line littérateur.’
- ‘Three years ago, celebrated littérateur Arundhati Roy made a mind-boggling comparison.’
- ‘With his staggeringly prolific output of soundtracks, operas, theatre works, string quartets, symphonies, and concerti, Philip Glass has become the classical musical analogue to littérateur Joyce Carol Oates.’
- ‘The reality seems to have been that in these years the young littérateur, entirely wrapped up in discoveries and experiments of the imagination, effectively ignored the fate of his country.’
- ‘On board the middle-aged littérateur is mightily pleased with himself - more particularly he is pleased with his literary reputation and power.’
Early 19th century: French.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.