1The study of the general physical characteristics of rocks.Compare with petrology
- 1.1 The general physical characteristics of a rock or the rocks in a particular area.‘the lithology of South Dakota’
- ‘The volume, distribution and lithology of this volcanism, however, shows considerable differences between the two areas.’
- ‘The host lithology consists of bioclastic silt and siliciclastic sand, characteristic of deposition in a biostrome flank setting.’
- ‘Johnson, in 1953, studied its lithology and stratigraphy, and in 1958, its paleontological features.’
- ‘Several factors have been suggested to influence the displacement/length ratios of faults, including fault geometry, lithology, fault interaction, and the spatial and temporal distribution of strain.’
- ‘Layers 2 and 3 are commonly subdivided in terms of the details of lithology and physical properties.’
- 1.1 The general physical characteristics of a rock or the rocks in a particular area.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.