Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The chemical element of atomic number 3, a soft silver-white metal. It is the lightest of the alkali metals.
- ‘His recovery of the rare and vital ores of tantalum, lithium, and beryllium greatly aided the War Production Board.’
- ‘The group lithium - sodium - potassium has a valency of one, as does the group chlorine - bromine - iodine.’
- ‘Elemental nitrogen, however, is only capable of oxidizing a few metals such as lithium and magnesium.’
- ‘Like hydrogen and helium, lithium was made in the big bang.’
- ‘Personally, I would like to see neither battery used in the long run and we move to the lithium battery, because lithium is the lightest metal.’
- 1.1Lithium carbonate or another lithium salt, used as a mood-stabilizing drug.
- ‘He was hospitalized for several weeks, finally diagnosed as manic-depressive, and prescribed lithium.’
- ‘The current treatment for bipolar disorder is mood stabilizers such as lithium and anticonvulsants.’
- ‘Thus, lithium is the drug of choice when a mood-stabilizing medication must be used in pregnancy.’
- ‘Such patients are usually monitored for the effect of lithium on the kidney by the estimation of serum electrolytes.’
- ‘Lithium was more effective than carbamazepine in the prophylaxis of mania.’
- ‘A few drugs like barbiturates and lithium have been known to cause acne.’
- ‘The patients may become unnecessarily worried with the result that they discontinue the lithium.’
- ‘Further studies of the effect of lithium and other psychotropic drugs on the risk of crashes would be valuable.’
- ‘He takes lithium every day, and doesn't much like it.’
- ‘Short term use of antidepressants and lithium and hypnosis offer limited help.’
- ‘If lithium is abruptly discontinued during the manic phase, relapse may occur within several days.’
- ‘The remaining patient, who had received lithium, improved markedly over the 48 hour period.’
- ‘Other agents, such as lithium, neuroleptics, trazadone and benzodiazepines, have not proved effective.’
- ‘Moreover, despite the benefits of drugs such as lithium shown in a Cochrane review, pharmacological treatment for bipolar disorder is potentially toxic.’
- ‘Four patients received lithium and three received placebo.’
- ‘Patients who are prescribed lithium must be told about the increased risk of motor vehicle crashes.’
- ‘Other blood tests may also be periodically taken to monitor potential harmful effects of Lithium on the kidney and thyroid.’
- ‘In some patients lithium was discontinued after several weeks without relapse of symptoms, while in other cases patients relapsed.’
- ‘These include amphetamines, antidepressant drugs, caffeine, corticosteroids and lithium.’
- ‘The inositol supplements had a significantly beneficial effect on the psoriasis of patients taking lithium.’
Early 19th century: from lithia + -ium.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.