Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a person or their manner) lacking energy or enthusiasm.‘bouts of listless depression’
lethargic, enervated, lackadaisical, spiritless, unenergetic, lifeless, vigourless, lacking energy, limp, effetelanguid, languorous, languishing, inactive, inert, sluggish, torpid, supine, half-hearted, lukewarm, indifferent, uninterested, impassiveindolent, idle, apathetic, shiftless, slothfulpassive, dull, heavyView synonyms
- ‘When we lose touch with our authentic desire, we become listless and apathetic.’
- ‘Her friend seemed so apathetic and listless she wanted to shake her.’
- ‘After seemingly endless weeks of constant commotion, they appear listless and lethargic.’
- ‘This is not a good show for a listless Sunday afternoon.’
- ‘My suspicions were confirmed on tasting the dish - the sauce turned out to be a drab and listless affair, making the chewy meat even more of a misery to eat.’
- ‘Some of the prose seems, dare I say it, listless, almost bored.’
- ‘She was listless, helpless, but not suicidal, and used cocaine sporadically.’
- ‘The streets are so listless and dull that every time I walk down one I can't help feeling they want me to be sad too.’
- ‘He seemed listless and uninterested at times last year - and ineffective at others.’
- ‘A full stomach draws blood to the belly and away from the brain, leaving you listless and dull.’
- ‘On Sunday, they were listless throughout and the two goal winning margin is a flattering one from their perspective.’
- ‘The change was dramatic: he became listless and unresponsive.’
- ‘Pride, as they say, is all that is left to play for, but even that appears in short supply in two listless, morale-free, rugby nations.’
- ‘The tempo never varies from a listless crawl; the vocals, rhythms and arrangements all struggle to stay in the background.’
- ‘The tigers paced desperately and the gorillas and chimps seemed listless and apathetic.’
- ‘You may feel tired and listless physically and need to balance your diet, manage stress and take care of health problems.’
- ‘I could smell the electricity hanging in the listless air.’
- ‘He brought an extra life to the character who stands listless before a deluge of tragedies as his children die in succession.’
- ‘He had been listless, short of stamina and unable to make his mark on the match, all of which is more troubling than his miss in the penalty shoot-out.’
- ‘I was listless, too sick and weak to say much of anything to defend myself.’
Middle English: from obsolete list appetite, desire + -less.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.