One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A list or catalog.
catalogue, inventory, record, register, roll, file, index, directory, listicle, checklist, tally, docket, ticket, enumeration, table, tabulationView synonyms
- ‘The bi-monthly is planning to compile a listing of poets now active and writing in English.’
- ‘With some fine-tuning and research, any advertiser is sure to gain from paid search listings.’
- ‘Following is a listing of steeplechase racing dates for spring 2003.’
- ‘A sample listing of catalogs with medical supplies and equipment is provided on page 86.’
- ‘A full membership listing is available on the website.’
- ‘Students are provided with classroom roster sheets that contain alphabetical listings of all of the children in the classroom.’
- ‘Your first step is to choose a cabinet style that you like, and then you can consult with the manufacturer's catalog for a complete listing of sizes.’
- ‘There are also several other listings on the web.’
- ‘Looking over the catalogues and listings of the period, it is amusing to see what was popular then as opposed to what is popular now.’
- ‘Appendix III provides an alphabetical listing of many medications with each generic term followed by one or more trade names.’
- ‘The pocket information pack also includes a detailed listing of places to visit and includes restaurants and accommodation.’
- ‘When selling a used car do you include a full listing of its faults?’
- ‘A comprehensive listing is not possible, but examples are cited in Table 2.’
- ‘There's a listing in that section for a catalogue of industrial vehicular supplies.’
- ‘Tables 1 and 2 contain a complete listing of the sequences used.’
- ‘To get a listing of all open files, right click on an empty space.’
- ‘Both buildings are listed as historic in British property inventory listings.’
- ‘Check your local auction listings and keep that wallet stuffed!’
- ‘The second section provides an alphabetical listing of substances noted to cause neurotoxicity in humans and animals.’
- ‘You may have noticed a listing of ‘suggested periodicals’ at the right hand side of this page.’
- 1.1 The drawing up of a list.
- 1.2 An entry in a list or register.
number, count, tally, total, running total, sum total, grand total, sum, score, reckoning, enumeration, register, record, inventory, list, account, roll, roster, index, directoryView synonyms
- ‘According to the listing in the registration maintained in the eye hospital, patients in need of a cornea are informed and brought to the hospital.’
- ‘A total of two listings rang in close to the advertised price of $525 for a one-bedroom.’
- ‘Due to recent activity, including possible unauthorized listings placed on your account, we will suspend any activity on your account in order to allow us to investigate this matter further.’
- ‘Also of note is the error in the listing of the running time.’
- ‘Just excuse me for a moment, I will ask the Registrar about the listing.’
- ‘Look in the classified ads to find job listings for the medical/health professions.’
- ‘But the provincial auditor ruled that its listings didn't count, and therefore it didn't qualify as a newspaper.’
- ‘Also in Florida, the Register has its first-ever listing of not one but two co-champion key tree cacti, an endangered species.’
- ‘See repertory listings for details on these excellent films.’
- ‘So they began posting more merchandise, boosting the total number of listings to more than 400,000.’
- ‘See the listings for more details on this and other performances at Richmond Theatre.’
- ‘The site is expected to feature job listings for both entry-level and experienced professionals.’
- ‘The city saw a total of 38 new listings, up 36 per cent year on year compared with the same period in 2003.’
- ‘Don't waste your time proving how smart you are or flaunting your listing in the social register.’
- ‘No listings in catalogs or sales literature have been found for the ratchet model.’
- ‘The legal teams shuttle back and forth between the contending parties on a settlement quest which may save the horrendous costs of a High Court hearing and the strain of a two year waiting period for a listing.’
- ‘Typically home exchanges were accomplished through listings offered in catalogs.’
- ‘View program listings and order tickets from our secure website.’
- ‘Use the dropdown menu to access recipe listings.’
- ‘A steady breeze blows against their faces as they flip through a catalog of apartment listings.’
2A selvage of a piece of fabric.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.