Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A list or catalog.
catalogue, inventory, record, register, roll, file, index, directory, listing, listicle, checklist, tally, docket, ticket, enumeration, table, tabulationView synonyms
- ‘Looking over the catalogues and listings of the period, it is amusing to see what was popular then as opposed to what is popular now.’
- ‘Check your local auction listings and keep that wallet stuffed!’
- ‘A sample listing of catalogs with medical supplies and equipment is provided on page 86.’
- ‘There are also several other listings on the web.’
- ‘A comprehensive listing is not possible, but examples are cited in Table 2.’
- ‘Students are provided with classroom roster sheets that contain alphabetical listings of all of the children in the classroom.’
- ‘Tables 1 and 2 contain a complete listing of the sequences used.’
- ‘A full membership listing is available on the website.’
- ‘There's a listing in that section for a catalogue of industrial vehicular supplies.’
- ‘To get a listing of all open files, right click on an empty space.’
- ‘The pocket information pack also includes a detailed listing of places to visit and includes restaurants and accommodation.’
- ‘With some fine-tuning and research, any advertiser is sure to gain from paid search listings.’
- ‘Both buildings are listed as historic in British property inventory listings.’
- ‘When selling a used car do you include a full listing of its faults?’
- ‘You may have noticed a listing of ‘suggested periodicals’ at the right hand side of this page.’
- ‘The bi-monthly is planning to compile a listing of poets now active and writing in English.’
- ‘Following is a listing of steeplechase racing dates for spring 2003.’
- ‘The second section provides an alphabetical listing of substances noted to cause neurotoxicity in humans and animals.’
- ‘Appendix III provides an alphabetical listing of many medications with each generic term followed by one or more trade names.’
- ‘Your first step is to choose a cabinet style that you like, and then you can consult with the manufacturer's catalog for a complete listing of sizes.’
- 1.1The drawing up of a list.
- 1.2An entry in a list or register.
- ‘Due to recent activity, including possible unauthorized listings placed on your account, we will suspend any activity on your account in order to allow us to investigate this matter further.’
- ‘No listings in catalogs or sales literature have been found for the ratchet model.’
- ‘Also of note is the error in the listing of the running time.’
- ‘Typically home exchanges were accomplished through listings offered in catalogs.’
- ‘View program listings and order tickets from our secure website.’
- ‘So they began posting more merchandise, boosting the total number of listings to more than 400,000.’
- ‘The site is expected to feature job listings for both entry-level and experienced professionals.’
- ‘The city saw a total of 38 new listings, up 36 per cent year on year compared with the same period in 2003.’
- ‘Just excuse me for a moment, I will ask the Registrar about the listing.’
- ‘But the provincial auditor ruled that its listings didn't count, and therefore it didn't qualify as a newspaper.’
- ‘A steady breeze blows against their faces as they flip through a catalog of apartment listings.’
- ‘Don't waste your time proving how smart you are or flaunting your listing in the social register.’
- ‘Look in the classified ads to find job listings for the medical/health professions.’
- ‘Also in Florida, the Register has its first-ever listing of not one but two co-champion key tree cacti, an endangered species.’
- ‘According to the listing in the registration maintained in the eye hospital, patients in need of a cornea are informed and brought to the hospital.’
- ‘See the listings for more details on this and other performances at Richmond Theatre.’
- ‘See repertory listings for details on these excellent films.’
- ‘The legal teams shuttle back and forth between the contending parties on a settlement quest which may save the horrendous costs of a High Court hearing and the strain of a two year waiting period for a listing.’
- ‘Use the dropdown menu to access recipe listings.’
- ‘A total of two listings rang in close to the advertised price of $525 for a one-bedroom.’
2A selvage of a piece of fabric.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.