One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A piece of writing or other content presented wholly or partly in the form of a list.‘a recent BuzzFeed listicle called “21 Pictures That Will Restore Your Faith in Humanity” has attracted more than 13 million views’
catalogue, inventory, record, register, roll, file, index, directory, listing, checklist, tally, docket, ticket, enumeration, table, tabulationView synonyms
- ‘Here's a gif-illustrated listicle of situations that make women want to use the baby voice.’
- ‘This time around with our recap, we've gone in a different direction, and opted for a listicle!’
- ‘The website made up of "listicles" about everything from cats to politics is now a primary source for our news consumption, says its creator.’
- ‘She is apparently now doing a daily listicle over at Gawker and feeling dirty about it.’
- ‘She navigated them to become, as a Forbes listicle once anointed her, the fifth most powerful woman in the world.’
- ‘The site breaks down everything you need to know into an easy-to-digest 10-thing listicle.’
- ‘Grapefruit enjoys an exalted reputation, thanks in part to countless magazine stories and nutrition listicles singing its praises.’
- ‘Vox has a helpful listicle up on what insurance can and cannot do.’
- ‘This alleged listicle is such an abomination that we feel to compelled to offer a reasoned critique.’
- ‘There are some bonafide reporters on this listicle below.’
Early 21st century: blend of list and article.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.