One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not give one's full attention.‘throughout the meeting Bobby only had listened with half an ear’
- ‘As they walked off to start their shift, Janey was listening with half an ear to Debi's chatter.’
- ‘Patrick listened and laughed in the appropriate places, but he only listened with half an ear.’
- ‘Tand yawned, as he listened with half an ear to the goings on.’
- ‘I watch Claire relate everything to boats and watch you all listen with half an ear.’
- ‘Midori watched the room warily, only listening with half an ear as she scanned the crowd.’
- ‘‘I don't know why you do this to yourself every year,’ Claire was saying as I listened with half an ear.’
- ‘‘Oh, my, this is interesting,’ said Maria, who had been listening with half an ear until now.’
- ‘He listened with half an ear as everyone was talking about their professions.’
- ‘She listened with half an ear while she surveyed her surroundings with boredom.’
- ‘Michaela only listened with half an ear until she heard Aiden ask her, ‘Michaela, what do you usually do on your birthday?’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.