Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Something to drink, especially alcohol.‘thirsty consumers looking for liquid refreshment’
- ‘We found a pub and were glad of the liquid refreshment.’
- ‘Cocktail hour at Abigail's apartment was quite a treat, not because of the liquid refreshment, but because of the hostess herself.’
- ‘The three were the best of friends at York and will no doubt enjoy sharing some liquid refreshment after tomorrow's showdown.’
- ‘Each was presented with a bottle of liquid refreshment.’
- ‘Others celebrated with a fish fry and, we were told, ample liquid refreshment.’
- ‘Reliving great sporting moments with friends over liquid refreshments will also be an essential part of three-day event.’
- ‘Good thing we have plenty of liquid refreshment.’
- ‘The story is that they stopped by a local "village pub" for some cool liquid refreshment.’
- ‘They are also starting a quiz night with liquid refreshment prizes, first one is this Wednesday.’
- ‘We didn't really register what we were eating as the liquid refreshment was what we wanted most.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.