One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A colorless, odorless oily liquid consisting of a mixture of hydrocarbons obtained from petroleum, used as a laxative.
- ‘Also, whereas the first study used liquid paraffin as a placebo, the second study used sunflower oil, which is better tolerated and less likely to affect the placebo response adversely.’
- ‘After being soaked in strong soap-suds, brushed and sprayed with liquid paraffin, a less than fresh orange suddenly becomes an attractive fruit.’
- ‘I have also used emollients like liquid paraffin and dermadew two to three times daily.’
- ‘In children we used olive oil instead, to avoid any laxative effect of liquid paraffin.’
- ‘The government response came after health authorities in India expressed concerns over the US company's baby oil products which use liquid paraffin as the base.’
- ‘The burn should be covered with a bland ointment such as liquid paraffin.’
- ‘So, late last night, I dosed him with medicinal liquid paraffin, delivered through one of those plastic syringes they use for small children these days.’
- ‘The maintenance phase consisted of ‘Agarol’ (active ingredients: liquid paraffin, phenolphthalein, benzoic acid, and sorbic acid) 5-30 ml once or twice daily, senna granules, or bisacodyl tablets.’
- ‘Many of these cases are successfully treated with liquid paraffin by stomach tube, to break up the impaction and lubricate the intestine, together with painkillers.’
- ‘The distal portion of the cut nerve was placed over bipolar platinum electrodes and immersed in liquid paraffin warmed to 37 [degrees] C and contained in a bath that was formed by raising the skin flaps of the wound.’
- ‘Among the dodgy remedies are cowpats to draw boils, liquid paraffin to ease constipation and vinegar for almost everything.’
- ‘But after vets gave him liquid paraffin he was able to pass the fragments from his body and was re-homed with a family from Berkshire this week.’
- ‘The treatments for this are nursery-esque: liquid paraffin with dinner, for example.’
- ‘The first one involved usage of liquid paraffin for immersing nerves while dissecting and recording from them.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.